Barkley’s case dropped

AN investigation into Everton star Ross Barkley’s “unprovoked” attack on a night out has been dropped by police.

The England ace was approached by officers after he was punched to the ground in a nightclub in Liverpool earlier this year.

Barkley's case dropped

Merseyside Police confirmed no further enquiries were being made over the incident in April and no one had been arrested.

A spokesman for the force said: “The victim did not support a prosecution and therefore no further action will be taken.”

CCTV footage shows the 23-year-old talking calmly to a reveller who suddenly unleashes three blows to the Everton midfielder’s face at Santa Chupitos.

Barkley had declined to report the attack to police and instead walked away before calling a friend to pick him up from the bar on Sunday night.

But cops then confirmed they were investigating the incident and that the footballer has been contacted.

A statement released to the Mirror said: “Merseyside Police can confirm officers are investigating an assault at a bar in Liverpool city centre in the early hours of Monday.

“A 23-year-old man was assaulted by another man in Santa Chupitos bar, on Slater Street.

“The victim, who was not injured, has been contacted by police and enquiries into the incident are ongoing, with CCTV opportunities being explored.”

At the time the England star’s representative confirmed the midfielder was the victim of an “unprovoked attack by a stranger who approached him”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *